How to Prepare Your Business For Tax Season

As the year’s first quarter approaches, businesses should prepare for the upcoming tax season. During this time, you want to have a comprehensive plan in place to ensure the accuracy of the tax return and minimize any unexpected financial liabilities for your business. Early planning can help you achieve a more streamlined and stress-free process when filing your taxes. Here are a few tips to prepare your business for the upcoming tax season.

Know All the Deadlines

As a business owner, you need to be aware of the important dates related to tax filing. Keeping track of estimated quarterly payments, form due dates, and other deadlines is essential to ensure that you are meeting your tax obligations promptly and accurately. If you want to stay organized, you can maintain a calendar of all the necessary tax deadlines. During the quarter, you should regularly review and update it to ensure that you stay informed about any changes.

Remember, some dates will vary from year to year due to weekends and holidays. You should double-check the calendar each year to avoid missing any critical deadlines. Staying informed about important tax dates can help you take the necessary steps to ensure that your business complies with tax laws and regulations.

Get Those Books in Order

You want to ensure that all financial documents and books are ready for the tax season. Make sure that all business transactions are recorded in your general ledger. These transactions should be categorized accurately and consistently. When you have a consistent system, it can help you to avoid errors. Contact a professional accounting team or bookkeeper if you need help organizing your transactions.

It is essential to reconcile your books with your bank records to ensure a complete and accurate record. You always want to avoid any discrepancies in your books. Additionally, you will want to separate personal and business expenses. If you don’t do this immediately, it can create headaches during tax time. When expenses are mixed in one account, it takes more time to sort through them, and you might miss deductions. Consider opening a separate small business account as soon as possible to simplify the process.

Collect Your Statements and Records

If you want to prepare your business for tax season, you will need to have the proper documents for your tax preparer or accountant. There are three crucial financial statements that you will need for tax time: the income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement.

The income statement is a report that details your company’s revenue and expenses over a specific period, showing your net profit or loss. On the other hand, the balance sheet is a snapshot of your company’s financial standing at a particular moment, showing what your business owns and owes. Finally, the cash flow statement tracks the movement of cash in and out of your business, giving you an idea of the company’s overall financial health and liquidity.

If you don’t have these statements, you should contact a company specializing in small business accounting services to help you compile these documents. Even after tax time, these documents are a valuable tool to help you track your company’s financial health.

Stay Current With Payroll Obligations

Staying organized during tax season is crucial for small businesses to ensure an accurate return. One way to maintain order is by keeping a payroll checklist that covers all necessary information. You will want to verify employee information, report special procedures, and document additional compensation and benefits information. With a list, you can reduce the chance of missing important details during the tax preparation process.

Set Aside Money for Taxes

No one wants to pay taxes, but you must have the funds to cover your tax obligations. You should set aside sufficient funds to pay your taxes for the year. With that, you can avoid any potential penalties and interest that might result from underpayment. Many individuals and businesses will use a 30% rule. Setting aside 30% of your income ensures you have enough money to pay your federal taxes. Remember that this is a general estimate and may not reflect your tax situation. You should always consult with a tax professional or utilize tax estimating tools to get a more accurate assessment of your tax liability.

Hire an Accountant

Preparing and filing taxes can be overwhelming. You should seek professional support from an accountant. While they can assist you during tax season, these professionals provide invaluable services to businesses throughout the year. Many times, you will want to consult with an accountant before making decisions for your business.

Hiring an accountant can provide several benefits for your business, including tax savings, cost reduction, and an increase in profitability. Along with that, an experienced accountant can offer valuable insights and guidance to help you make informed decisions that can positively impact your bottom line. It may seem like another expense for your business, but hiring a South Jersey accountant can be a huge relief for you during tax season and the rest of the year.

We Can Help Get You Ready for Tax Season

Let us help you take care of your tax needs efficiently and effectively. TMD Accounting is the top choice for small and large businesses in Gloucester County. With over 40 years of experience in the industry, we can help you with your payroll, tax, and bookkeeping needs. If you want to schedule a consultation, call us at 1-856-228-2205.

How Much Should a Small Business Set Aside for Taxes?

There is no question that every small business owner dreads the arrival of tax season. Between gathering all the information you will need to complete your taxes, finding all the forms necessary and then completing all those forms, it can be frustrating, time-consuming and stressful. Add to that the possibility you could have to write a hefty check to the government, and it is easy to see why businesses may not look forward to filing taxes. TMD Accounting offers these tips to help you avoid a big payment on April 15.

Understand Tax Obligations

As a business owner, there are more things to consider than filing your return at the end of the year. You need to understand what taxes need to be filed each year in order to enter the correct information on your tax forms. As a small business owner, you may be subject to self-employment tax as well as income tax. If you have employees, you must also file quarterly employment taxes. States with sales tax also require that you file those quarterly while some states require corporations to pay franchise tax. This may be once each year or also may be needed quarterly. If you must pay indirect taxes on goods sold, known as excise tax, you will need that information as well.

The 30 Percent Rule

One method many small business owners use, according to small business accounting services, is the 30 percent rule. Setting aside 30 to 40 percent of your revenue should cover the amount due on your federal and state taxes each year. This is highly recommended for sole proprietors who don’t have employees as they are more likely to owe at the end of the year than an LLC or a corporation. You can accomplish this a number of ways. One way is to place 30 percent of every client payment into a business savings account. This is a great way to save toward a tax bill if you have a small number of clients who only pay you a once or twice a month. If you have a higher volume of clients, however, you can simply total your income for a week or the entire month and put 30 percent of that total in an account.

Monthly Method

Another way to determine what to put away for taxes a South Jersey accountant says is to calculate your average monthly income. Add up the total amount you have earned and divide it by the months you earned it. For instance, if it is April, add up your income from January through March and divide it by three to get your average monthly income. Once you have determined that figure, calculate 30 percent of the average monthly income and place that in an account. You can also calculate this amount by using the previous year’s income. Simply divide your entire revenue by 12 and then compute 30 percent.

Underestimating or Overestimating Taxes

According to TMD Accounting, as long as you pay 100 percent in the present year that you paid in the previous year in quarterly estimated tax, you can’t be penalized for underpaying. If your income is over $150,000, that number rises to 110 percent. You will know if you have underestimated when it comes time to file your taxes as you will have a balance owed to the IRS when you finish computing your income and expenses. There is no penalty for overestimating. However, those funds that you set aside could have been used in other areas of your business. The good news is that if you overestimated what you would owe, you have funds in your account that can be applied to the next year.


Even better news is that the funds will continue to earn interest until you need to use them for your taxes the following year. However, don’t make a habit of overestimating as that is pulling money from your business you could be using. If you consistently find yourself over or underestimating taxes, it may be time to talk to small business accounting services to be sure you are not assessed a penalty or tie up funds unnecessarily. The good news is that if you overestimated what you would owe, you have funds in your account that can be applied to the next year.

When Should I Start Setting Aside Funds?

The best time to start setting aside funds for taxes, according to a South Jersey accountant is as early in the year as possible. Taxes don’t take a break which means as soon as the new year rolls around, you need to move past the previous year and start fresh for the new year. If your fiscal year is the same as a calendar year, start putting money away as of January 1. If your fiscal year is different, such as from July 1 to June 30, begin putting money away on July 1. Even if you have not paid your taxes for the previous year, you can still tuck the funds away.

When Do Taxes Have to be Paid?

If you anticipate that you will owe more than $1,000 for the year, taxes must be paid quarterly. Income earned from January 1 to March 31 must be paid by April 15 while April 1 through May 31 must be paid by June 15. Any income earned from June 1 to August 31 is due by September 15 and September 1 through December 31 taxes paid by January 15 of the following year.

If you are struggling to prepare for tax season, it is time to call TMD Accounting. With 40 years’ experience with small business accounting services, TMD Accounting can help you get your taxes filed and make sure you pay only the amount you are required to pay. Contact our experienced team today by calling 1-856-228-2205 or by visiting our website.

Why Use a Professional for Your Tax Preparation Service?

Most Americans dread tax season even if they will not have to pay the government. Most of the dread comes with gathering the documents needed, figuring out which tax forms have to be filed, and taking the time to put it all together. This all needs to be done whether you are filing your personal taxes or own a business. One of the best ways to make tax season less stressful is to hire a professional to handle the stress for you. Today, the tax preparation pros at TMD Accounting will explain the main reasons why letting a professional prepare your taxes can not only relieve stress but also ensure that your taxes are filed properly.

Free Up Your Time

The average time it takes the average person to complete their taxes is 20 hours. With people living very busy lifestyles today, giving up 20 hours can be extremely difficult. This is the equivalent to half a work week for most Americans and it could be time spent with family and friends, focusing on your business or doing things that are more important to you. Also keep in mind the amount of time it may take should your return be audited by the IRS, something that is less likely to happen if you use small business accounting services.

Lower Your Tax Burden

You may ask “why should I hire an accountant for my small business to do my taxes?” The fact professionals undergo significant training so that they understand the complicated tax code as well as the many changes that can occur year-to-year is one of the primary reasons to use a qualified tax professional. Companies like TMD Accounting know what needs to be done as well as what should not be done to get you the biggest refund possible while following IRS rules and regulations.


In addition, tax preparation services are aware of deductions that you may not know exist and the cost of tax preparation may be deductible, which also saves you money. The more deductions you are eligible to take, the lower your tax burden is, giving you a higher refund or at least reducing the amount you must pay to the IRS.

Avoid Costly Errors

There is research that shows as many as 80 percent of Americans make mistakes on their taxes. Most of them are minor, but they often cost you money in the form of a reduced refund or higher tax bill. However, some errors can be catastrophic and could result in high penalties and fees. They could also result in criminal charges filed, even if the mistake was unintentional. Small business accounting services can help prevent those errors. If you are audited, they will work with you and the IRS to explain the situation.

Less Stress

There is no question that completing your taxes can be stressful, complicated and confusing. When asking yourself “why should I hire an accountant for my small business,” consider that tax professionals are trained to deal with all of the complicated processes that come with taxes. All you have to do is deliver them your information and they will put it all together and make it make sense to the IRS. You don’t need to worry that you file the wrong form or that you put the wrong number on the wrong line. They are trained to be sure that all the numbers are entered correctly and that the proper forms are filed.

Audit Assistance

One of the best features of using small business accounting services to prepare your taxes is that, should you be audited, a professional will help you through the entire process. If there was an error on their part, many tax professionals will pay any fees or penalties you incur as a result of that error. Even if the error was on your part, such as a missed W2 or interest statement, they can work with the IRS to help minimize the impact of the error. This is another layer of stress relief that comes with hiring a professional to prepare your personal and/or business taxes.

Major Life Changes

If you have prepared yourself in the past, there may be other reasons why you should look to an expert to prepare them this year. If you experienced a major life event, such as getting married, buying a home, receiving an inheritance or moving to a different state, you may want to get a professional to prepare them for you this year. Life changes can lead to additional deductions, or they may lead to a higher than normal tax burden.


Even if you have not experienced a major life change, there are circumstances where you should think “maybe I should hire an accountant for my small business this year.” If you are self-employed or you own rental property, a professional is highly recommended. The same is true of you are an active stock trader or you have foreign accounts. All of these situations can lead to complicated tax structures that only a professional can unravel for you.

Contact a Tax Preparation Service Today

If you are ready to prepare your taxes, consider reaching out to TMD Accounting first. Our amazing team can prepare your taxes for you, relieving stress and helping reduce your tax burden as much as possible. You can learn more about our services by giving us a call today at 1-856-228-2205 or visiting us online. Those 20 hours you spend on taxes can be better spent with your family. Let the professionals handle your taxes for you.

Common Mistakes in Small Business Tax Preparation

Tax planning and preparation are major challenges for small business owners. While you might be an expert in your area of business, that doesn’t mean that you are also an expert in the intricacies of Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules and tax laws. The U.S. Tax Code is highly complex, and there are many ways that small businesses can encounter problems with their taxes. Here are some of the most common mistakes made by small businesses and encountered by TMD Accounting that you should avoid.

1. Choosing the Wrong Business Entity Structure

There are several different types of legal entity structures that you can choose for your business. Each of these structures has advantages and disadvantages. When you choose the wrong one, your business structure can expose your company to potential liability and result in higher taxes. The following types of structures are the most common:

  • Sole proprietorship
  • Limited liability company (LLC)
  • S-corporation
  • C-corporation
  • Partnership
  • Limited liability partnership (LLP)
  • Nonprofit

Some businesses choose the wrong tax entity while others fail to choose a structure at all. Either of these errors can greatly impact the future of your business. For example, while a sole proprietorship is the simplest structure for a business to form, it doesn’t provide any personal liability protection. Choosing a C-corporation structure for your company comes with many reporting and documentation requirements and can double the taxes you might owe. When you prepare to open your business, getting small business accounting services from TMD Accounting can help you select the most advantageous structure for your company.

2. Failing to File Taxes Or Send Proper Payments

When you need to file different types of taxes and send payments to the IRS will vary based on your business’s structure, your industry, and whether you have employees. There are many different forms that might be required, and you might also need to file different forms with the state as well.

Certain taxes must be filed every quarter, including payroll, estimated income, and sales taxes. Others must be filed annually, and you must also send your employees and contractors other forms directly so that they can file their tax returns.

Failing to file the right forms and submit payments on time can get your business in trouble. You might face high penalties from the IRS that could cripple your business. In certain cases, failing to file business tax returns or remit tax payments when they are owed could also expose your business to criminal liability.

3. Classifying Workers Improperly

Many businesses improperly classify their workers. For example, you might decide to classify your workers as independent contractors to try to save money on your tax bills. However, if you improperly classify workers, it could result in significant penalties. Make sure you understand the classification rules and follow them to avoid serious tax problems.

4. Underestimating Taxes or Underreporting Income

If you file your taxes as an S-corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship, you will likely have to make quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS. While you aren’t expected to guess how much your business will owe exactly, you are expected to be reasonably close. If you fail to make quarterly estimated tax payments or greatly underpay them, you could face a stiff penalty. If you understate the amount you owe by a substantial amount, the IRS might believe you were negligent and force you to pay a 20% penalty. If the IRS believes you tried to intentionally defraud the government, you could face a fine of up to 75% of the amount owed as well as criminal charges.

5. Commingling of Personal and Business Expenses

A major mistake that many small business owners make is mixing their personal and business funds and expenses. The IRS has strict rules against commingling personal and business funds. You can only deduct business expenses from your income and not personal expenses. To prevent you from deducting the wrong expenses, you must ensure your personal and business finances are kept separate. This means having a separate bank account for your business and only using a business credit card for business purchases and not your own. If you do use personal assets to operate your business, including your vehicle or a home office, you must keep detailed documentation to support your deductions.

6. Poor Organization and Record-Keeping

Failing to keep good records throughout the year can make tax time difficult. If you leave everything until the last minute, you’ll likely miss out on business deductions you would otherwise have been able to claim. Disorganized records and poor documentation can also result in higher small business accounting services fees when it’s time to prepare your business tax returns.

To prevent these problems, make sure you have a system to track your expenses and income on a continuing basis throughout the year. Each month, your cash flow, credit card statements, and bank account statements should be reconciled. You can use software to help manage your bookkeeping so that tax time will be smoother for both you and your accountant.

7. Taking Improper Deductions

The deductions you can claim for your business are those that are involved in the ordinary process of operating your company. You can review IRS Publication 535 to learn what is deductible. If you claim deductions for things that are improper, you could face an audit and potentially severe penalties. Even if you claim legitimate deductions, you could be penalized if they are out of sync with your business’s income or the deductions claimed by similar businesses in your industry.

If you report a loss for your business several years in a row, the IRS could decide that your venture is a hobby instead of a business. If that occurs, your ability to claim deductions could be disallowed completely.

Find an Accountant for My Small Business

The best way to avoid potential tax issues is to be honest and remain organized. Working with TMD Accounting can also help you avoid potential mistakes in preparing your taxes and claim all of the deductions to which your business should be entitled. To learn more, contact us today at 1-856-228-2205.

Your Small Business Tax Preparation Checklist

Small business owners should ideally prepare for tax filing season year-round. Planning can help to simplify the tax filing process and help small business owners to take advantage of potential deductions and credits for which they might qualify. As the tax season draws near, it is important to ensure you understand the various deadlines that apply and the documents you should gather. At TMD Accounting, part of our small business accounting services includes helping our clients prepare and file their business tax returns. Here’s a checklist that can help you get a jump on the upcoming tax season.

1. Know the Forms You Will File

The tax form your business will file depends on the legal entity structure you have chosen as follows:

  • Sole proprietorship – Schedule C with your individual Form 1040
  • Limited liability company (LLC) with one member- Schedule C filed with your individual Form 1040
  • LLC with more than one member – Form 1065
  • Partnership – Form 1065
  • S-corporation – Form 1120-S
  • C-corporation – Form 1120

Additional schedules and forms might also need to be attached based on the credits and deductions you claim and the types of income you need to report.

2. Information to Gather

Before it is time to file, you should gather the following information to make the process easier:

  • Employer identification number (EIN) or Social Security number
  • Business’s legal name
  • Business address
  • Business principal activity code from the chart in the instructions for
  • Schedule C
  • Income information from your business, including from sales, property sales, collected rent, dividends, interest, canceled debt, allowances, returns, and other income
  • Cost of goods sold for a deduction if your business sells products with a beginning and ending inventory by using the worksheet in IRS Publication 334, Chapter 6 to calculate it
  • Business expenses, including utilities, advertising, vehicle expenses, mileage, fees and commissions, contractor labor, depreciation, insurance, employee benefits, professional fees, legal fees, office expenses, employee wages, license, taxes, and others
  • Information broken down by location if you have locations in several states

Gathering this information can be simple if you use small business accounting software. If you haven’t kept good records, you might need to recreate them by using your bank statements, credit card statements, receipts, and other types of documentation.

3. Issue 1099s if Necessary

If you hired independent contractors or freelancers and paid them $600 or more during the tax year, you need to issue Form 1099-MISC to each one. This is a form used to report payments for work performed by non-employees and independent contractors. You aren’t required to issue a Form 1099-MISC if you paid a contractor through a third-party payment network such as PayPal. In that case, the payments will be reported by the payment processor on Form 1099-K. You can either print Form 1099-MISC through your accounting software or purchase blank forms from a local office supply store. Your accounting firm can also supply these forms for your business.

4. Know Your Other Small Business Tax Obligations

Small businesses also need to be aware of their other tax obligations and returns beyond the federal income tax, including the following:

  • Employment tax withholdings – Must be filed with the IRS along with quarterly payroll tax reports
  • Unemployment taxes – Paid by the employer without deduction from employees’ wages
  • Self-employment taxes – Covers the Medicare and Social Security taxes for self-employed people and must be paid quarterly together with estimated taxes
  • Excise taxes – Must be paid on certain types of activities or goods
  • Sales taxes – Might be required to collect and remit sales taxes to the state or local government
  • Property taxes – Local and state property taxes for your business property if you own it

5. Know the Filing Deadline

The filing deadline depends on the form you file. S-corporations, partnerships, and LLCs with more than one member that file Forms 1120-S or 1065 have a tax filing deadline of March 15. If this date falls on a weekend or holiday, your return must be filed by the next business day.

If you operate as a single-person LLC or a sole proprietor, you report your business income on Schedule C of your individual tax return. In that case, file Form 1040 and Schedule C by April 15. If it falls on a weekend or holiday, your return must be filed by the following business day.

6. Request an Extension if Necessary

If you can’t file your return on time, ask for an automatic extension. Single-member LLCs and sole proprietors can request an extension on Form 4868. Other business types use Form 7004 to request extensions.

An extension will give you an additional six months to file your return. However, if you owe money, your deadline for paying what you owe doesn’t change. Try to estimate what you owe and pay it by the original deadline so that you won’t be assessed penalties and interest.

Find an Accountant for My Small Business

While this tax preparation checklist can help you prepare for filing your taxes, working with an experienced accounting professional at TMD Accounting can make the tax process much more manageable. Contact us today to request a consultation at 1-856-228-2205.

Small Business Tax Planning Strategies

The end of the year is approaching and that means you will realize that “the accountant for my small business is going to need my tax information soon.” For some small business owners, that can send them into a panic as they realize they have not thought about taxes since they were filed earlier in the year. These tips from TMD Accounting can help you begin to prepare for tax season and help you stay prepared all throughout the year.

Review Your Income

This is the time to review your income over the past year, according to small business accounting services. During the pandemic, you may have seen your company income drop but now that things are getting back to normal, your bottom line may have improved substantially. For some businesses, however, the inflation has kept their profits lower than expected. If you have seen an increase in net revenue this year, now is the time to look for additional tax deductions to lower your tax burden after the first of the year. By the same token, if your income is lower than you expected, you may find yourself eligible for additional deductions you were not eligible to use in the past.

Check Your Business Entity

This is the perfect time to review whether you are using the right business entity, whether you are a sole proprietor, S-Corp, LLC, partnership or C-Corp. Even though you may have had the same entity for years, your income level can have an impact on which option is best for you. If your company is bringing in $50,000 or less, it is likely that you will not want to go through the process of becoming an S- or C-Corp. If this is your current business entity, you may want to talk to a small business accountant to see if it is time to change. If your company has done exceptionally well this year, you are reaching six figures in net revenue, but are still a sole proprietorship or partnership, you may want to ask, “can the accountant for my small business help me change my business entity?”

Review Retirement Plans

If it looks like you will owe a significant amount to the IRS this year, consider reviewing your retirement plans. This is the perfect time to invest in retirement plans such as an SEP IRA or a Solo 401(k), depending on your business. You could even combine a 401(k) with a Cash Balance Pension Plan. Although you will still be writing a check, it is much preferable to write that check to yourself in order to use it in retirement than it is to write it to the IRS. At TMD Accounting, we can help you create a retirement account that will not only prepare you for your golden years, but also reduce your tax burden.

Are You Working from Home More Often?

One of the things that came out of the pandemic was a realization that working from home can be an option for many people, even business owners. If you have moved some of your operations to a home office, you may be eligible for the home office deduction, even if you were not eligible in previous years. The answer to the question “can the accountant for my small business tell me if I can take the home office deduction” is absolutely yes, but there are a few things you need to know. In order to take the deduction, you must meet certain criteria, so talking to your accountant is the best way to determine if this is an option. If you can take the deduction, you could save hundreds if not thousands on your taxes.

Take the Time to Get Organized

December is the time to get all your business finances organized. Pull out the shoebox of receipts and begin organizing them. The best way to do this is to sort them into piles related to your deductions. For instance, create a pile for office supplies, one for meals and entertainment, one for vehicle costs related to business and so on. Even if you use an electronic financial system, organizing your backup documentation can be beneficial should the IRS flag one of your deductions. The best way to do this, however, is to do it all year so that it does not feel so overwhelming at the end of the year.

Consider Deferring or Accelerating Income

Did you do a large project for a client that could be billed in December? Consider delaying the invoice until January which allows you to defer the income, so it is taxable in the next tax year. However, if you believe your tax rate will increase next year due to higher net revenue, you may want to accelerate the income by issuing the invoice as soon as possible and trying to get payment from the client before the year ends. You can do the same with your expenses. If you expect your tax bracket to be higher next year, you may want to delay paying any expenses you can until after January 1. However, if your tax bracket is higher this year than it will be next year, try to pay as many expenses as possible before the end of the year. A small business accounting service can help you understand if accelerating or deferring income and expenses would benefit your tax situation.

If you are in need of an accounting services, we here at TMD Accounting are ready to help you. We have over 40 years’ experience in the tax industry, are family-owned and operated, working under the motto that “numbers matter and people count.” Arrange for a no obligation consultation by calling 1-856-228-2205 or fill out the easy online form today.

Child and Dependent Tax Credit for Married Filing Separately

There are several reasons why some married couples opt to file taxes as married filing separately. However, this tax filing status can prevent individuals from claiming certain types of tax credits and deductions they might otherwise be entitled to if they filed their taxes jointly. Here is some information to understand about this filing status and its impact on the child tax credit (CTC) and the child and dependent care tax credit (CDCTC) from the accounting professionals at TMD Accounting.

Why Would People Choose to File Taxes as Married Filing Separately?

When couples file tax returns as married filing separately, they can’t claim many credits to which they would otherwise be entitled. Before the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) in 2018, there was somewhat of a “penalty” for married couples who filed jointly because the standard deduction for joint filers was not twice that of single filers. However, the TCJA changed the tax brackets to make the standard deduction for joint filers double that of single filers, eliminating this so-called penalty.

Even though filing as married filing separately might make some people ineligible for certain tax credits, it might be advantageous for people in the following types of situations:

  • When a spouse has unpaid student loan or tax debt to avoid a refund being seized to pay for it
  • When one spouse believes the other is inflating deductions or otherwise being dishonest on their tax return and does not want to be liable by signing a joint return
  • When one spouse is applying for income-contingent student loan repayment plans
  • When one spouse’s income is substantially lower than the other spouse’s, and the lower-earning spouse does not want to be liable for the higher-earning spouse’s tax bill
  • When one spouse is unwilling or unable to sign a joint tax return
  • When the spouses are planning to separate or divorce
  • When the taxes owed on the separate returns equal the taxes owed on a joint return to avoid liability for each other’s tax bills

If you do have a good reason for choosing the filing status as married filing separately, here’s how that might impact your ability to claim the child tax credit and the child and dependent care tax credit.

Understanding the Child Tax Credit vs. the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

The child tax credit (CTC) is a tax credit parents can claim for each qualifying child they have up to age 17. This credit can be used for any type of expense and is provided in recognition of the fact that parents who have children have less disposable income and more expenses than others who make the same levels of income.

By contrast, the child and dependent care tax credit (CDCTC) is a tax credit a parent can claim to offset the cost of the child or dependent care so the parent can work. The CDCTC is available only to parents who have to pay for child care or adult dependent care so that they can work. On the other hand, the CTC is available to parents who have children younger than age 17 regardless of whether they have to pay for care to work.

Effect of Married Filing Separately Filing Status on the Child Tax Credit

The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 temporarily expanded the child tax credit during that year, increasing the CTC of $2,000 for children younger than age 17 to $3,600 for children under age six and $3,000 for children ages six to 17. Eligible parents also could receive advanced payments of one-half of the child tax credit each month while receiving the remainder when they filed their 2021 income tax returns.

However, the enhanced CTC was allowed to expire at the end of 2021 and has not yet been renewed. While some people believe the expanded child tax credit might be renewed, it hasn’t been thus far. This means that the existing child tax credit of $2,000 for children ages 17 and younger is currently what might be available to tax filers when they file their 2022 returns.

People who file their tax returns as married filing separately can only claim a reduced child tax credit. The amount that someone with this filing status can claim is one-half of the available credit, and only one parent can claim it.

Effect of Married Filing Separately on the Child and Dependent Care Credit

In general, married couples can only claim the child and dependent care credit if they file joint returns. However, there are a couple of exceptions under which one spouse might be able to claim the credit even when their tax filing status is married filing separately.

According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), someone who is living apart from their spouse or who is legally separated might still be able to claim the child and dependent care credit. If you are legally separated from your spouse, the IRS does not consider you to be married and allows you to take the CDCTC if you file as head of household instead of married filing separately. To file as head of household, your child must primarily live with you, and you must pay at least 50% of the costs of supporting them during the year. You will also need to pay for care so that you can work.

If you are married and living apart from your spouse, you can claim the

CDCTC if the following criteria apply:

  • You file a separate tax return from your spouse
  • You maintain a separate household for you and the qualifying dependent for more than half of the year.
  • Your spouse does not live with you during the last six months of the tax year.
  • You pay more than 50% of the costs of maintaining your home.
  • You pay for child or dependent care during the year for the qualifying dependent so that you can work.

Get Help from TMD Accounting

Understanding the best filing status to choose for your situation and the potential impact on your available credits is important. To learn more about optimizing your taxes, contact TMD Accounting today at 1-856-228-2205.

Are GoFundMe Donations Tax Deductible?

Many people and organizations have turned to crowdfunding to raise money for various needs and causes. One of the most popular crowdfunding platforms available is GoFundMe. While many of the entities raising funds on GoFundMe are charitable, some people worry about whether donations they might make via the platform can be deducted from their taxes.

Whether or not donations made on GoFundMe can be deducted from your taxes depends on whether the donee is a qualified 501(c) organization. If the recipient of your donation is a qualified 501(c) organization, then you can claim your donation as a deduction on your tax return. If the recipient is not a 501(c) organization, your donation is considered personal and can’t be deducted. Here is some more information about crowdfunding donations and when they can be deducted from the tax professionals at TMD Accounting.

When Are GoFundMe Donations Tax Deductible?

Originally starting as CreateA Fund in 2008, GoFundMe changed its name in 2010 and is a crowdfunding platform that can be used to raise money for nearly anything. Donations made on the platform are considered to be personal unless they are given to a qualified 501(c) organization.

If you give money to a non-501(c) organization on the site such as an individual who is trying to raise money for any purpose, your donation will be considered to be a gift and not a tax-deductible charitable donation. Even if you make a gift for a charitable purpose, it won’t automatically qualify you for a deduction.

Another thing to watch for is how much money you donate to an individual on GoFundMe. Since these types of gifts are not considered to be charitable by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), if you give more than the annual exclusion amount for gifts, you might have to report what you gave and file a Form 709. The recipient will not be taxed on the amount they received.

How GoFundMe Works

Individuals, groups, or organizations can all raise funds on the GoFundMe platform. The site distinguishes between types of fundraisers, including standard campaigns and certified charity campaigns. Many organizers of standard campaigns are people who are raising money for any number of reasons and who can deposit any money they raise into their bank accounts.

While many standard campaigns are for worthy causes, the gifts that are made are given to individuals instead of registered charities. Donations to them are generally not tax deductible.

By contrast, certified charity campaigns are established by registered 501(c)(3) organizations. The organizers don’t handle the funds. Instead, the money is sent directly to the charitable organization through the PayPal Giving Fund. This is a fund that was created by GoFundMe to help registered charities receive donations. When you donate GoFundMe to a registered charity, you will receive a receipt from the giving fund so that you can claim a deduction on your tax return.

When GoFundMe Donations Are Tax Deductible

There are two exceptions under which a donation on GoFundMe could be tax deductible. First, if you give money to a qualified 501(c) organization on the platform, your gift will be tax deductible. Second, GoFundMe has established a program called “GoFundMe Causes”. Through this program, qualified organizations are grouped by their causes. You can make a tax-deductible contribution to the cause you choose, and the donation will be sent directly to the group of verified charities grouped by that cause.

Understanding Gift Taxes

The annual gift tax exclusion for 2022 is $16,000. If you give more than this annual amount to non-501(c) organizations, you could be required to file a gift tax return. While there are exceptions for donations given for educational or medical expenses, the exceptions require the funds to be sent directly to the institutions instead of an intermediary. Funds given on GoFundMe rarely are sent directly to institutions through standard campaigns.

Deductions for Charitable Giving

When you give money to a nonprofit organization, your donation will normally be deductible. You can deduct up to half of your adjusted gross income for cash donations, but there are limits set at 20% or 30% that might apply. Giving money to registered 501(c) organizations on GoFundMe could be a way to reduce your tax burden, but you will need to make sure to save your receipt. To claim a deduction, you will need to itemize your deductions instead of taking the standard deduction using Schedule A. A charitable deduction might be eligible as long as it is given to one of the following:

  • Nonprofit hospitals and schools
  • Some veterans’ groups
  • Local, state, and federal governments
  • Religious organizations

Donations to the following types of organizations generally cannot be deducted:

  • Political action committees (PACs) or political parties
  • Foreign organizations or governments
  • Individuals
  • For-profit hospitals or schools
  • Labor unions
  • Sports or social clubs
  • Homeowners’ associations (HOAs)
  • Responsibilities of Donees

Gifts are generally not considered to be taxable income. However, organizers should keep records to avoid problems.

If a donee receives donations in exchange for services or goods, the IRS might consider the donations to be taxable business income. Be clear in your campaigns that donors will not receive anything of value in exchange for making donations.

If you raise more than $600, the third-party payment processor will send you and the IRS a Form 1099. While the money you raise should not be considered taxable, you will have the burden to show that it was not income. Report the funds you receive on your tax return and then show a reduction of the same amount while including an explanation.

Talk to TMD Accounting

If you are unsure about whether your donations might qualify for deductions, you should talk to the professionals at TMD Accounting. Call us today at 1-856-228-2205.

Everything You Need to Know About the Business Travel Tax Deduction

Self-employed people and small business owners are generally allowed to deduct business travel expenses when they are required to travel away from home for business purposes. However, you need to ensure that you understand the definition of home from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and what ordinary and necessary expenses are to ensure you deduct your business travel expenses accurately. Here is what to know about the business travel tax deduction from TMD Accounting.

What Are Ordinary and Necessary Expenses?

The first thing you should understand is how the IRS defines ordinary and necessary expenses. Ordinary expenses are those that are accepted and common within your industry. Necessary expenses are those that are appropriate and helpful for your company.

How the IRS Defines Home

Your business travel expenses can be claimed when you are away from your business home, which is not necessarily where you live. The city in which your business is located is your business’s tax home, which might not be the same place where your family lives.

For example, imagine that you live in Colorado Springs, Colorado and have a permanent business location in Denver. Just because you might stay during the workweek in hotels in Denver and eat out, you won’t be able to deduct those expenses from your taxes or the costs of your transportation when you drive back to Colorado Springs on the weekends. This is because Denver will be your business’s tax home, so you can’t take deductions for your ordinary and necessary expenses during your time there.

Deductible Transportation Expenses

If you have to travel for business by bus, train, or plane, you can deduct the cost of your ticket and baggage fees. If you have to pay for a last-minute ticket, you can claim the higher price as an expense. However, if you pay for the ticket using your frequent-flyer miles, you won’t be able to deduct it.

Transportation expenses can be deducted when you have to travel away from your business’s location for business reasons. For example, if you have to fly from Denver to Los Angeles for a work conference, you can deduct the cost of your airfare to and from Los Angeles. You can also deduct the cost of renting a car in LA while you are there. The IRS allows you to deduct the actual costs or the standard mileage rate. During the first half of 2022, the standard rate was 58.5 cents per mile. For the second half, the mileage standard rate was increased to 62.5 cents per mile. You can also deduct parking fees and tolls you might have to pay during your business trip.

Deductible Taxi Fares

While you are away on business, you can also deduct the fares you pay for taxis or shuttles. The following types of fares you pay can be deducted:

  • Fares paid to get to and from the airport, train station, and your hotel
  • Fares paid to and from your hotel and your work location
  • Fares paid to and from clients in the city

For car rentals, you can deduct the expense as long as you exclusively use the vehicle for business. if you also use it for personal reasons, only deduct the portion of the rental costs that you used for business. For example, if you are in LA and drive to the conference and then back and forth to a few client locations, you can deduct the mileage and rental car expenses for those trips. However, if you later decide to go out to dinner or a movie from your hotel, you can’t deduct the expenses involved with that.

Deductible Incidental Expenses

You can also deduct the costs of your hotel, business meals, and tips as long as they are reasonable under the circumstances. Your meal deduction is limited to half of the actual cost of your meal or the standard meal allowance. The meal allowance is based on the federal per diem rate based on when and where you travel.

In general, business travelers can only deduct 50% of their meals. However, in 2022, the IRS is allowing business travelers to deduct the full cost of business-related meals and beverages that they purchase at a restaurant. If you decide to take the standard meal allowance, the deductible amount for incidental expenses is $5 per day for tips given to staff at your hotel, baggage carriers, or porters. It is still a good idea to keep receipts and track of the actual costs you pay.

What Qualifies as a Business Trip?

To qualify as a business trip and qualify for the business travel tax deduction, your trip must meet each of the following criteria:

  • Your trip caused you to leave your business’s tax home for more than a normal work day
  • Your trip must primarily consist of business
  • Your trip should qualify as an ordinary and necessary expense
  • Your trip should be planned in advance

Speak to an Accounting Professional

If you are unsure which expenses you can deduct under the business travel deduction, you should speak to the accounting and tax professionals at TMD Accounting. We can review your receipts and the purpose of your trip and explain what can and can’t be included. To learn more, call us today at 1-856-228-2205.

How to Find the Right Small-Business Tax Advisor for Your Business

Having a small-business tax advisor can help your business save money on taxes by working with you year-round. This is a certified professional who prepares and files business tax returns, provides financial and tax advice, and represents businesses when they are audited by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Certified tax advisors also perform record-keeping duties and help with tax planning to maximize your business’s returns. The tax advisor you choose should be experienced, qualified, and have specific knowledge about business taxes. Here is some information from TMD Accounting about how to find the right tax advisor for your small business.

What Are Tax Advisors for Small Businesses?

The IRS allows anyone to serve as a small-business tax consultant as long as they get a preparer tax identification number (PTIN) from the agency. However, you should look for a professional firm that offers both small business account services and business tax advice. The professional you choose should also be certified as a tax advisor by the IRS. Certified tax advisors have additional education, skill, and expertise requirements and can also represent you in case of an audit.

Enrolled agents are licensed tax professionals who must pass a specialized exam showing their tax proficiency and/or have worked for the IRS for at least five years.

Certified public accountants (CPAs) must pass the CPA exam and follow the requirements for CPAs. They are accounting professionals offering multiple services, including tax advice, preparation, and filing.

Finally, attorneys must pass the bar exam to obtain a license to practice law in their state. While all lawyers are included in this category, a business owner should look for an attorney who focuses on tax law and business taxes.

If you are searching for a tax advisor for your business, you should choose someone who falls into one of the three categories listed above. Make sure the professional you choose has experience with business taxes instead of personal taxes. Finding a certified tax advisor who is also familiar with your industry and with small businesses is even better.

How a Tax Advisor Can Benefit Your Small Business

A good business tax advisor can help your business in numerous ways throughout the year instead of just at tax time. Your tax advisor should provide you with all of the following benefits:

• Providing important information and advice to aid you in tax decisions
• Setting up a record-keeping system tailored to your business and its needs
• Preparing business tax forms and helping your business claim all of the deductions to which it should be entitled and highlighting red flags that could get your business in trouble with the IRS
• Providing advice and guidance when you are dealing with the IRS
• Representing you before the IRS during audits and investigations

Finding a Tax Advisor for Your Small Business

The first place to start is to ask your business’s accountant or bookkeeper for referrals and recommendations. If you are already working with a CPA for small business accounting services, they might also have the necessary experience to provide you with business tax advising services. You can also ask other business owners that you know and trust for their recommendations for business tax advisors in your area.

You can also ask your friends, banker, family, or attorney for recommendations and referrals to qualified business tax advisors in your area. Get several names. Look for listings in newspapers, directories, trade journals, referral panels, and professional associations. Look for CPA societies in your area or check online at for a CPA. If you want to find an enrolled agent, you can ask for help from the National Association of Enrolled Agents at However, if you check an organization, you should consider referrals as the organization’s certification that it recommends the CPAs or EAs or that the names provided to you are competent professionals.

Once you have a small list of names, interview a minimum of three firms or individuals. Treat the consultation like an interview. You want to both test the prospective advisor’s knowledge and ensure that they are a good fit for your company. Ask them about their experience, certification, and their knowledge of your industry and of working with small businesses. Ask about the types of tax issues small businesses might face and how they address them. Ask if the prospective advisor represents clients during audits before the IRS.

Ask the tax advisor about any success stories they can share and the types of strategies they employ when dealing with tax problems. You want to make sure the advisor you choose doesn’t use overly aggressive strategies that could potentially get your business in trouble.

Once you have completed your consultations, don’t rush to make a decision. Consider which prospective advisor made you feel confident in their knowledge and ability to help your business with its taxes. Make sure you choose an advisor with whom you feel comfortable since you will have an ongoing professional relationship. Finally, search for a tax advisor in the fall or summer instead of trying to find someone during tax season.

Find an Accountant for My Small Business

If you are searching for a full-service accounting firm to handle all of your business’s accounting and tax needs, you should consider TMD accounting. We provide a full range of accounting services for small businesses, including tax advice and preparation. Call us today for a consultation at 1-856-228-2205.

1 2 3